Given the state of motion sensing technology in regards to household appliances, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to presume that almost all household items will have motion detecting capabilities in the near future. For the time being, one would do well to consider investing in motion sensor light bulbs to replace traditional light fixtures.
We say this because not only are these lights more comfortable to use on account of their touchless operation, but they are also known to use much less electricity than their standard counterparts. With this in mind, let us find out what are the ten best motion sensor light bulbs on the market today.
Best Motion Sensor Light Bulbs – Reviews
9Brinks 7120B 110-Degree Motion Par Security Light
The powerful Brinks 7120B security light is a handy motion-activated device that uses two bright LED bulbs with a cumulative light output of 300 lumens. The creative design of the lights enables them to cover up to 400 square feet and move vertically in angles not exceeding 135 degrees. The icing on the cake is its tough IP65 build that makes it weatherproof, thereby increasing its resilience.
8Health Zenith Heavy Duty Motion Sensor Lights (HZ-5411-WH)
In addition to offering you optimized security settings, the two 120W bulbs can illuminate even the darkest nights to give you a crisp view of your surroundings. Furthermore, you will find these sensor lights to be much more durable than many other fixtures in this price range.
7First Alert Motion Detecting Light Socket (PIR725)
If you’re worried about having to change your lighting to accommodate this handy motion detecting light socket, don’t be. It attaches easily to your existing light sockets to provide motion detecting capabilities for a radius of up to 12 feet.
The socket also features a 360-degree rotation and is built sturdily to guarantee long-lasting performance and durability. In fact, these are some of the most sturdy motion detecting light sockets out there.
6LAMPAT Solar-Powered Waterproof Motion Sensor Light
Extra bright and extra resilient, this solar-powered LAMPAT motion sensor security light is one you can rely on to provide security even in times of power outages. It has an appealingly short installation time and process coupled with a super bright LED bulb with illumination capabilities of up to 80 lumens. The security light comes with an inbuilt Li-ion battery that depends solely on the sun for its power.
5OxyLED LED Wall-Mounted Motion Sensor Night Light
This motion-activated LED sconce light features an eco-friendly LED bulb and an intelligent motion sensor that only turns on the light when it is dark outside. What’s more, the light is capable of detecting the amount of light in the atmosphere and adjusting its brightness to save energy and to provide as much light as is necessary. Its resilient stainless steel build makes it less susceptible to damage from exposure to the elements.
4Fulcrum 20031-101-6 Wireless LED Motion Sensor Porch Light
Ingeniously designed to activate whenever motion is detected up to 25 feet away from your porch, this motion detecting security light is a great way to beef up your home security. It is perfectly bright and features a weatherproof build that incorporates photocell technology which keeps it from turning itself on during the day. The porch light also has an impressive detection angle of up to 100 degrees.
3Amir Motion Sensor Light
Featuring some of the brightest LED bulbs on the market, this trio of highly sensitive motion-activated security lights are easy to install quickly wherever you need them thanks to their magnetic base which can easily be attached to metallic surfaces.
They can detect motion that is as far as 10 feet away and illuminates with powerful beams of light that give you a crisp clear view of your surroundings.
2Mr. Beams MB390 Motion-Activated Spotlight
The motion-activated light runs on four D-cell batteries and can cover a maximum of 400 square feet. It is also built extremely well to ensure it withstands harsh weather conditions and to last a lot longer than most.
1Mr. Beams Battery-Powered MB723 Motion-Activated LED
This is another powerful trio of motion-activated LED security lights which are activated using elaborate motion detectors built into them. These lights are capable of detecting motion from a distance of up to 15 feet away and come with an automatic shutoff feature that turns them off if no motion is detected for 30 seconds.
Their bright LED lights have a maximum light output of 10 lumens and a 50-000-hour running time, which is no less than what you should expect from high-end motion sensor lights these days.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
Motion Sensor Lightbulb Guide
There are plenty of things you can do to keep your home safe and sufficient lighting is one that is always recommended by experts. Keeping a light on all night can be expensive over time and bad for the environment. One solution is to buy a motion sensor lightbulb. The best products work to save you money and are known for being reliable.
There is more to it than coming on at the right time, and as you will discover in the following guide, not all products are made equal. To help you make a sensible purchase, make sure you know what a quality product should do.
What To Look For In A Motion Sensor Lightbulb
- Range – For the motion sensor lightbulb to be effective, it needs to detect motion and a decent range. This can help put off a potential intruder or alert a pest and cause them to scamper. Look for a product that works at around 20 feet to make sure no one comes close.
- Detection Angle – Not all products are made with a wide range of motion in mind and those with large outdoor spaces will want as big a detection angle as possible. Thankfully, there are motion sensor lightbulbs that can detect 360-degree motion to protect your home from all angles.
- Lumens – This will determine how bright the bulb will be so to deter unwanted visitors you will need an ample amount. The best motion sensor lightbulbs can give you around 100 lumens to make sure the area outside your home is well lit.
- Easy Installation – If you don’t like the thought of having to install a motion sensor lightbulb, a solar-type product might be best for you. If you are up for a little DIY, then they are usually simple to install and come with easy to follow instructions.
- Off-Timer – You don’t want the bulb to be on for too long or you might as well leave it on all night. The better products often come with timers that work to turn it off. Usually, this is after a matter of seconds although you can customize some.
- Longevity – You don’t want to have to replace the bulb for a long time and the reliable products will be built to last. This is important because you don’t often realize that the bulb has reached its full lifespan for a while. The best motion sensor lightbulbs will be fine for 20,000 hours of use and many give you plenty more.
- Efficiency – Some brands put a lot more effort into this than others and if being eco-friendly is important to you, a solar-powered motion sensor lightbulb might be better. However, there are still good options in the electric range that don’t use so much power.
Motion Sensor Lightbulb: Solar Vs Electric
There are plenty of benefits to both and a lot will depend on the climate you live in. Here are some of the major plus points to both.
- Electric – These are linked to your power supply so unless you have a blackout, these will work no matter what the conditions. They tend to be more powerful than their solar counterparts which result in a brighter bulb. The running costs don’t have to be expensive and will depend on the brand but will always be more than that of solar-powered products.
- Solar – Of course, these are reliant on getting enough exposure to the sun in the daytime and can be less reliable in the colder months. However, they are energy efficient and once you purchase, there are no running costs. They are popular for use in the garden but are not as effective next to your back door. There is next to no installation required which is another reason they are so popular.
Different Types of Motion Sensor Lightbulbs Technology
What might influence your decision is the type of technology the bulb uses to detect motion.
The most common are PIR (Passive Infrared Energy) bulbs and work by detecting temperature changes. This means it can be triggered by pets which means they might be quite sensitive. Some products in this niche can be amended to not trigger so easily.
Another way for moton sensor lightbulbs to activate is through energy bouncing which will detect movement via an infrared light that bounces off of humans. These are less common.
A motion sensor lightbulb makes for an efficient and cost-effective way of protecting your home. The light from the better products is strong and reliable but won’t make a massive difference in your electric bills.
Even when you consider the initial outlay, you can’t put a price on safety.